Parents encouraged to do more outdoor activities with children | Families
(KFVS) - The University of Illinois Extension is encouraging parents to take children outside and enjoy the outdoors.
"Playing outside is not only a physically healthy activity, but is good for the overall wellbeing of the child," said Youth Development Educator Michelle Bisel.
Bisel said playing outdoors stimulates the senses and is important to the development of children. She said some studies even state that there are negative affects to a child who is not exposed to nature.
According to U of IE, some possible nature activities this spring include:
- Trip to a local park to watch animals interacting in their natural environment
- Start or maintain a raised bed or container garden
- Take a trip to hike around Giant City State Park
- Take a trip to the otherworldly Cache River in deep Southern Illinois
- Create an ant or worm farm (explore vermicomposting)
For resources on exploring nature, you can visit The University of Illinois Extension at \http://web.extension.illinois.edu .
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.