Help "Build a Bucket" for Southern Ill. flood relief | Community Spirit
WILLIAMSON COUNTY, IL (KFVS) - The Herrin Minsterial Alliance is asking residents to come together and help build hundreds of flood relief cleaning buckets.
Churches in Herrin are collecting items for the buckets that will go to flood victims in places like Freeman Spur, Junction, Hurst, New Haven, Murphysboro, Shawneetown, Harrisburg, Olive Branch and other ares throughout Southern Illinois.
Three ways you can participate include: buy all of the items for one or more buckets and bring the completed bucket to a drop-off location, buy bulk quantities of any of the items listed below and bring them to a drop-off location or drop off or mail in a check to a drop-off location office.
The cost per bucket is approximately $55. Checks can be made to Community of Faith with the notation: Build a Bucket!
Wal-marts in Herrin and Marion, Dollar Generals in Herrin and Marion and the Marion Home Depot are prepared, along with local merchants, to have these items on hand.
You can drop supplies off at Community of Faith Church, which will be coordinating the collection, buidling and delivering the supplies for the alliance. Items can be dropped off at the church from Monday, May 16 through Friday, May 20 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. The church is located at 5208 Meadowland Parkway, Marion, Ill. 62959.
For more information you can call the coordinating church office at 618-997-2940.
Cleaning bucket items needed:
- 5 gal. bucket with re-sealable lid (clean)
- Bleach- two 1-quart or one 82 oz. bottle
- 5 scouring pads (not steel wool)
- 7 sponges
- 1 scrub brush
- 18 cleaning towels (reusable wipes)
- Liquid laundry detergent soap- two 25 oz. or one 50 oz. bottle
- 1 household cleaner- 12 to 16 oz. bottle (All cleaning agents must be liquid and in plastic bottles, no powders)
- Disinfectant dish soap- 16 oz. to 28 oz. bottle
- 50 clothes pins
- Clothesline- two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
- 5 dust masks- disposable kind (sealed in a bag)
- 2 pairs of latex gloves
- 1 pair of work gloves
- 24-bag roll of heavy duty trash bags, 33-45 gal. (remove roll from box before placing in bucket, can be rolled into two sets of 12)
- 1 insect repellent spray (not killer), 6 oz. to 14 oz. can (if aerosol, cans must have protective cap)
- 1 air freshner, 8 oz. or 9 oz. can (if aerosol, cans must have a protective cap)
Items should be purchased as noted because they are sized and designed to fit in the bucket and meet the FEMA-Red Cross evaluated needs for a flood recovery cleaning kit. Items must be new for safety and protective reasons. If any items are not available in the requested size, choose the next smaller size.
Copyright 2011 KFVS. All rights reserved.